What to expect at a caravan site
It’s hard not to feel giddy about your up-and-coming holidays. But sometimes when we rush with the packing and thoughts of relaxing, things can be missed or forgotten.
So, when you’ve set aside some holiday time for your next caravan trip, don’t forget to do your research on the caravan sites you plan on staying at. This could mean the difference between booking a site with or without power!
We’ve highlighted just some of the facilities that you would expect to find at a caravan site somewhere in the UK.
Most camping and caravan sites across the UK should have basic facilities available. However, for those who don’t mind simple living and unspoilt locations, some sites can have even less facilities. These sites may or may not include:
- Toilets (chemical toilets required by campers)
- Shops or cafés
- Pets e.g. cats and dogs may or may not be welcomed
- Drinking water taps should be available at all sites
- Could be limited to the number of caravans, motorhomes, cars, and tents at the site at once
- Could be limited to the number of units per pitching site
- Water and toilet disposal should be available
Standard or family sites
For those who want that little bit more, most standard caravan and camping sites across the UK should include the following:
- Hot showers
- Toilets / compostable toilets
- Electricity / powered sites
- Shops and cafés
- Laundrette facilities
- Kitchen / washing up facilities
- BBQ facilities
- Pets e.g., cats and dogs may or may not be welcomed
- Playgrounds / entertainment spaces or for children
A little more luxury
And finally, for those who want to splash out and holiday in style, some caravan sites may offer:
- Glamping or permanent tents that could include beds, sofas, electricity or washing facilities
- Privately run sites with less restrictions on how many units per site
- Self-catering facilities
- Heating facilities e.g. stoves or portable heaters
- Hot tubs, indoor, or outdoor pools
- Evening entertainment
It’s always important to note that some sites, whether basic, standard, or more high-end, may charge for additional extras such as for pets, additional tents, or vehicles, or use of the cleaning facilities.
So, remember, when booking your caravan site, plan ahead and decide whether or not you can live without your hot shower or flushing toilet while on holiday.
Views expressed in our articles do not necessarily reflect the views of Guardcover Tourer Select and petGuard.