Frequently Asked Questions

Click below for answers to our Frequently Asked Questions. If your answer can't be found, contact a member of our team on 0800 316 9842.

What is unoccupied?
Our policy definition of unoccupied is;

Any building or portion of a building or an individual residential unit in a building that is;

  • No longer being lived in
  • Untenanted or between tenants
  • No longer used for the intended purpose
  • Undergoing minor or non-structural works
  • Subject to a repossession
Who is this cover aimed at?
  • Probate solicitors, Deputies, Attorneys, Surveyors, Conveyancers
  • Anyone with the responsibility for property under a sale, or purchase and/or any other legally binding agreement, where there is a period of unoccupancy
  • Family members where they have been appointed Deputy or Attorney for elderly, infirm or a disabled relative who has been taken into care
  • Local Authorities and Charities with the responsibility for property, where an elderly, infirm or disabled home owner has been taken into care
  • Charities responsible for properties left to them as part of a legacy or bequest
Do you offer short term cover periods?
Absolutely – you can choose form a range of policy periods, 1,3, 6, 9 or 12 months
What if the property is occupied?
That’s fine, cover is available for occupied property as well including contents cover in certain circumstances.
How quickly can I obtain cover?
Call our UK Contact Centre and in most cases, we will promptly provide cover including cover for theft, attempted theft, malicious damage and vandalism.
How much is the excess (amount I have to pay for in the event of a claim)?
The standard policy excess of £175 for all classes other than for subsidence claims, which is £1,000 per claim. However this may vary.
Will the property need to be regularly inspected?
In most cases there is no requirement to inspect the property. Our scheme differs from many competitors as most require regular visits to the property, which can be inconvenient and costly.
What types of cover can you provide?
Buildings and/or Contents and Property Owners liability cover.
What are the key benefits?
  • Flexible policy terms of 1,3,6,9 and 12 months
  • The option of having cover free from any “Unoccupied warranties”; giving you and your clients extra peace of mind
  • No inspection requirements (where possible)
  • Cover available for many non-standard consutruction types
  • Full non-restricted cover available, in most cases
  • Security discount available
  • Contents cover also available whilst unoccupied alongside Buildings Cover
  • Property Owners Liability included