Residential property insurance for unoccupied properties

Many standard household policies restrict cover or even automatically cease cover when a property becomes unoccupied after a specified period. Our solution is wholly focussed on insuring empty properties and offering a product without unnecessary terms to comply with. We've been insuring residential properties for over 20 years - call us to find out how we can help you.

Why would I need specialist "Unoccupied Home Insurance" cover?

Most insurers will not provide cover if a property is left unoccupied for more than 30 days. Insurers are reluctant to insure an empty home because they are often seen as a higher risk - they can be targeted by thieves, squatters or vandals; and the damage caused by flood or fire will often be more extensive because there is nobody at home to limit the damage.

What else would be helpful to know?

Unoccupied Home Insurance policies will often require you to meet certain requirements - these are often known as "Unoccupied Warranties". For example, draining the water systems, switching off the utilities, documented visits on a weekly basis, installing certain locks, sealing the letterbox, etc. Failure to comply could lead to a claim being turned down.

What does Guardcover unoccupied property insurance offer?

We have over 20 years' experience in providing this cover and have our experienced and supportive UK Customer Service Team ready to discuss your specific requirements and give you that extra peace of mind.

Empty House Insurance calendar

Flexible policy terms

Cover that gives you the flexibility with policy terms of 1,3,6,9 or 12 months available

Vacant property inspections

No inspections

Wherever possible, our cover can exclude regular, documented property visits other policies can insist on

Unoccupied Property Maintenance

Non-standard construction

We understand that properties come in all shapes and sizes, which is why cover is available for many non-standard construction types including most timber-framed, pre-fabricated, flat-roof and other building types

Weather protection

Non-restricted cover

Many standard policies can limit cover to instances of fire, lighting, earthquake and explosion. In most cases, we offer cover beyond limitations of others, including water damage, accidental damage, subsidence cover and more

Empty house inspections

Wide range of cover

Whilst other insurance policies can look to limit the cover available for your property at a time when you need the cover most, we provide a wide range of covers for your unoccupied property

empty home insurance

Variety of circumstances

We can cover most circumstances from properties going through probate, deputyship and power of attorney, to extended holidays and secondments and buy to let gaps in residency

Unoccupied contents insurance

Contents cover

Whilst unoccupied properties are at increased risk of vandalism, theft or access by squatters, we can still provide contents cover alongside your building cover

Securing an Unoccupied Property

Security discount

Our pricing for your unoccupied property insurance cover will automatically include a discount covering the different levels of security in operation at your property

What our customers say

Very Helpful

"I am very happy with the service I receive...the team members are always very helpful and send through the quotes quickly. When renewals are due, we get notifications in good time to be able to renew the same."

Kate Pearce - Lyons


Polite and Professional

"I feel your firm is extremely polite, professional and efficient. There does not appear be a request too great for you to deal with and even on the cases where the insurers are not willing to provide a quote, I believe your agents have explored all avenues before coming back to me."

Luke Grundy - Wilkin Chapman


Extremely Efficient

"Thank you for all your help in arranging cover for the property, I found your service extremely efficient and I look forward to working with you in the future"

Olivia Cooper - DMH Stallard