*If you have DIRECT responsibility for an unoccupied residential property click the Get A Quote button.

Insurance for Solicitors

Flexible cover for properties awaiting probate, sale or refurbishment

*If you have DIRECT responsibility for an unoccupied residential property click the Get A Quote button.

Your unoccupied property quote

Our unoccupied property insurance caters for most types of property, whether it's a private house or flat, small commercial property, or even if it's just land you need to insure.

Residential property executor or power of attorney - if you have direct responsibility for an unoccupied residential property, i.e. Executor, that needs insuring, then you can get a quote online - just click our 'Get Quote' button.

Commercial / Acting on Behalf of a client - if you have an unoccupied commercial property or you are looking to insure any type of property on behalf of a client, then please call us on 0800 316 9842.

Unoccupied property insurance for solicitors

It is common for a standard property insurer to restrict cover when a property becomes unoccupied after a specified period. Our solution is geared towards insuring unoccupied properties, or occupied properties in probate.

We work alongside hundreds of solicitor firms each year, and have been insuring residential and small unoccupied commercial properties, for them and their clients, for over 20 years.

Our services can support you and your clients

  • Probate solicitors, deputies, attorneys, surveyors, conveyancers
  • Anyone with the responsibility for a property where there is a period of unoccupancy
  • Family members where they have been appointed as a deputy or attorney for elderly, infirm or disabled relatives who have been taken into care
  • We cover small commercial properties, and unoccupied properties that form part of an estate in probate

Designed with unoccupied properties in mind

Trying to find insurance cover for a property that is going through probate, trust or power of attorney (whether unoccupied or still occupied) can be a minefield of restrictive covers and a list of terms and conditions that you must undertake. Some insurers put in place stringent terms (“Unoccupied Building Conditions”) which must be enforced before they will provide cover. For example, draining down the water systems, switching off the utilities, weekly documented visits, installing certain locks, sealing up letterboxes, etc. Failure to comply could lead to a claim being turned down.

For most standard-construction properties that have been unoccupied for less than 12 months, and are under £500k in rebuild value, you can choose which, if any, conditions you want to include. This is why our cover for properties that have been unoccupied for less than 12 months is possibly the most flexible solution available.

Covers available for Leasehold and Freehold properties

Whether the property you want to insure is Leasehold or Freehold, we can look to offer you some cover options that include:

  • Freehold owned in its entirety – we can offer buildings and contents cover
  • Leasehold and legally responsible for insuring the buildings – again, we can offer buildings and contents cover
  • Freehold, but only for a part of the building (e.g block of flats, maisonette etc) – we can offer contents cover
  • Leasehold and not legally responsible for insuring the buildings – we can offer contents cover

What's included?

We can cover damage to your insured property caused by:

  • Accidental damage & malicious damage.
  • Theft & attempted theft.
  • Escape of water or oil (including water from a plumbing or heating system).
  • Fallen trees.
  • Storm, flood, fire & subsidence. 
  • (Excludes damage caused by frost and wear & tear. As well as damage to gates and fencing caused by weather-related incidents).

    As well as:

  • £5million property owners' liability (£2million if insuring land only).
  • Damage to locks following theft, attempted theft or loss of keys (maximum £5,000 per claim and £15,000 per policy period).
  • Up to £2,500 (maximum £500 per claim) to cover tree felling or lopping).
  • Up to £5,000 cover per period of insurance for fly-tipping (policy does not cover the first £1,000 of any claim).
  • Up to £5,000 per policy period to cover tenant debris removal
  • Up to £5,000 per policy period to cover trace & access to find the source of a leak.
  • Breakage of glass, including boarding up costs (excludes damage to glass in transit or being fitted).
  • 24 hour, 365 days a year claims helpline, providing emergency assistance where needed.
  • Risk services helpline for advice on fire, security & other risk-related issues (Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm).

*We can even insure areas of land that are in probate.

Excesses, terms and conditions and full details are available in the policy documentation.

Key features

With over 20 years' experience of serving the unoccupied community, we understand the needs of solicitors, home owners, conveyancers and more.

To ensure we cover a variety of eventualities we have spoken to our customers, partners and solicitors to ensure we include features for all types of unoccupied property situations. We understand that every property is different, requiring its own specific policy. 


Flexible policy terms

Cover that gives you flexibility with policy terms of 1, 3, 6, 9 and 12 months available.

House search

No inspections

For most residential properties, recently unoccupied, you can choose cover to exclude regular, documented property visits.



Non-standard construction

We understand that properties come in all shapes and sizes, which is why cover is available for many non-standard construction types including most timber-framed, pre-fabricated, flat-roof and other building types.

Clipboard with ticks

Wide range of cover

Whilst other insurance policies can look to limit the cover available for your property at a time when you need the cover most, we provide a wide range of covers for your unoccupied property.

House contract

Variety of circumstances

We can cover most circumstances from properties going through probate, deputyship and power of attorney, to extended holidays and secondments and buy to let gaps in residency.

Lamp and chair

Contents cover

Whilst unoccupied properties are at increased risk of vandalism, theft or access by squatters, we can still provide contents cover alongside your building cover.

Lock and key

Security discount

Our pricing for your unoccupied property insurance cover will automatically include a discount covering the different levels of security in operation at your property.

Policy documents

For customers incepted on, or after 24th February 2020, click below to access your policy wording. For customers incepted before 24th February, please contact us.

Contact us

If you've got a question, give us a call or email and let us know how we can help:

Phone: 0800 316 9842
Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm
Email: unoccupied@guardcover.co.uk